1.19.2015

Review: Lily Lolo Natural Mascara


This review has been a long-time coming. I've managed to keep the excitement under wraps but it has all got too much and I just need to tell you all about this mascara. We all know that the world of natural mascaras is both a minefield and generally full of disappointments. Personally, I've been pretty lucky so far - my first foray, the Ilia mascara, was a big hit and I loved it until the final drop. However, it's damn pricey and since then I've been looking for a cheaper replacement. This is where the new, reformulated Lily Lolo Mascara comes in. Similar in effect, it just ticks all the boxes where my previous love was lacking.

Following the huge rebrand of Lily Lolo, a lot of their products were reworked and reformulated. This included the previously-so-so Lash Alert Mascara. I never got to try its predecessor, but the new formulation has caught my heart firmly in its grasp. This new formulation is truly a masterpiece - for me anyway. If you're a fan of huge voluminous lashes then this is possibly not for you. However, if you're like me and you like; a little volume; a deep black colour; fluttery separation; length and just general prettiness... you've got to try it. The website describes it as creating a 'doe-eyed look', and I would most definitely agree.

It works wonderfully even with my slightly oily eyelids, being both smudge and flake-free. I wouldn't call it waterproof, but it doesn't seem to transfer or run, while still being super easy to remove at the end of the day. It's of course 100% vegan, which makes the formula (lacking in the usual beeswax), even more impressive in terms of staying power. In comparison to the Ilia mascara, the major difference is that Lily Lolo's formula is slightly drier, making application a whole lot cleaner. Also, at £10.99, it's a whole lot cheaper.

Ingredients-wise, everything is pretty low-level (0-2) on Skin Deep, however it is worth noting that the preservative used is potassium sorbate, which some people can react to (it scores a 3 on SD). I personally, have noticed no reaction, and I have experienced absolutely no itchy eyes while using this product. Which is great, because that always seemed to be a side effect of mascara for me.

Overall, I am super impressed with this product - and the price-point is just a happy addition to it's lovely formula (and gorgeous packaging!). I highly suggest that everyone gives it a go!

EDIT: I am no longer choosing to buy from Lily Lolo due to their continued sale of products containing carmine and lanolin. I am now endeavouring to solely support brands that are 100% vegetarian.