7.28.2014

The Summer Reading List


So, in previous posts I had been talking about how much I would like to get back in to reading. Seeing so I start university in October, and I'm going to be studying English, it seems fitting that I should try to rekindle (aha) a much forgotten love of mine. So, what is more motivating than writing a list? Here are the books that I wish to devour between now and the start of semester.

Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler: Okay, so let's start with the elephant in the room. I was first introduced to this book by Jess of Ecoholic Beauty, in one of her videos about her experience with coming off of hormonal birth control. Recently, I have also been toying with the idea after going through some pretty intense emotional side effects, linked with the flurry of hormone imbalances that is created by such birth control. Also, I have never been completed comfortable with pumping myself full of hormones when I'm more than careful about what I put on my face and in my stomach. Long story short, I've put the idea on hold for now but this is still an amazing read (from what I've read so far) and really recommend it to all women. "Guide to Pregnancy Achievement" does sound pretty alarming - don't worry, they won't be any bouncing babies in these parts for a long time - but the book goes through everything that we should have been told in sex ed, and more. Read it, if just to understand your cycle in more detail, to find out more about the stages and the hormones involved in each.

26a by Diana Evans: This is less of a recreational read, and more of a book that I need to read before I start university. I have been assigned this book to read over summer as during orientation week, we actually get to meet the author, listen to a lecture on the book and ask her any questions about the storyline. It does actually sound really interesting. It follows the lives of a family made up of a white, British father, an African mother who has emigrated to England, and their biracial daughters: an eldest sister, twin middle sisters, and a youngest sister. The story focuses on the twins and their struggles, observations of the world around them, and the secrets of their inner world. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in to the story and it shall be interesting to hear from the author in October.

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: Okay, so nothing groundbreaking here. I've read this in the past and I really didn't enjoy it. To be honest, Charles Dickens is possibly one of my least favourite authors. I just cannot get on board with his writing style and use of grammar. However, I shall be studying this during my first term at university so I must swallow my pride and re-read the book, a highly detailed critical version that is. I can hardly contain my excitement...