3.14.2014

Recent Empties #1


Using up products has never been my forte. I'm notoriously fickle when it comes to beauty products and even I was surprised when I realised I had finished up two cleansers... what has gotten in to me?

The two cleansers in question are the Alpha-H Balancing Cleanser and the REN Clearcalm 3 Clarifying Clay Cleanser. The latter was my in-shower cleanser of choice as I found it a little messy for everyday use. Although my skin isn't perfect, I'd also see using a blemish-fighting cleanser twice a day as a little excessive. It was nice, but nothing special and I wouldn't repurchase. The Alpha-H cleanser on the other hand is my (dirty) holy grail. Containing aloe vera, this offering kept my skin happy and was my absolute go-to when I needed to strip my skincare back to basics. It claims to be pH neutral - overcoming the need for toner - but I did still experience some oil slick action almost immediately after cleansing which is a sign of unbalanced skin. Despite how much I love the product, I wouldn't repurchase as I'd like to try some greener alternatives.

Keeping with the skincare theme, I finally used up my teeny bottle of Caudalie's Eau de Beaute. Boy is this an over-hyped product if there ever was one. If I'm honest, this is just fancy water that smells nice. However, it was useful for refreshing my makeup in situations when everything was getting a bit cakey.

Another product that seems to have lasted forever, is the L'Occitane Shower Oil. Previously, this was my shaving emollient of choice. The premise of this product is lovely, a lightly foaming oil that is wonderful for keeping skin soft and smooth. However, this came with a price. The price of a hefty amount of sulfates. L'Occitane is a good example of a green-washed brand and I'm happy to finally see the back of this product.

I'll admit that my last two empties aren't exactly... empty. In fact, they're practically full but I just don't want to use them. The Green People Rejuvenating Eye Cream was okay don't get me wrong, but I just didn't feel it doing anything. It was super cheap and a bit of a disappointment. The Becca Beach Tint in Watermelon is actually a pretty popular product and it is a really gorgeous shade but I've probably lost count of how many years I've owned this. The fact that it's water-based means that it's more than likely gone off and I don't exactly want to be putting it anywhere near my mouth which is how I wore it in the past. I'm sad to see it go but I won't be repurchasing as it isn't the cleanest of products.

Looking back, I haven't used up a great deal of products but I have managed to rid myself of some that have been hanging around for way too long. Here's to hoping that my next empties post is a little bigger!