5.24.2014

The Perfect DIY Mask


I've been in lack of a cleansing face mask for quite some time. I passed my Origins charcoal mask on to my sister a couple months ago and since then, my skincare routine has been - in the category of a good clay mask - absolutely null.

I recently purchased Kae's incarnation of the ever-so-popular Rhassoul Clay powder and I've been using it as the main ingredient in a mask that is both deep cleaning, clearing, calming and wonderfully nourishing. Rhassoul is a light coloured clay powder that is cultivated from Morocco. It's purifying and detoxifying properties make it the ideal candidate for a quick DIY mask that rivals the famous Problem Solver (although, that one is still absolutely number one!). If you find the May Lindstrom mask a little too potent, this might be for you. The powder can be mixed with any number of natural ingredients - such as apple cider vinegar, jojoba oil, essential oils or just plain water - to create a truly bespoke treatment, designed to battle your current blemishes.

My favourite recipe is a simple one, and includes the basic addition of warm water and a couple drops of Acure's Organic Argan Oil. I find that this combination stops the clay from completely stripping and drying my skin. Leaving it clear, but also plump and glowy. The preparation and mixing is messy, so make sure you apply with an old foundation brush and remove with a cloth to avoid any extra clean-up.

Tell me about some of your favourite DIY mask recipies!