6.11.2014

Falling Back In Love?


When I was many years younger, I read a lot. I would stay up till the early hours getting my Harry Potter fix and spend ages reading Jacqueline Wilson in the bath while getting considerably pruney. However, since going to big school/college/starting work, I probably read the grand total of about 0.5 books a year, if I'm lucky. It makes me extremely sad (especially as I credit my decent academic record to a childhood of reading), and recently I've forced myself to fall back in love with the written word. It seems silly for me - as a to-be English Lit student - to not be reading as much as I can. I have so many books laid about my room, and a reading list as long as my arm, but I'm still struggling to get back in to reading.

Despite the dwindling love, I have actually been reading some pretty great books lately. The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey is, for example, is the first book that has really grabbed me in years. I read it over the Bank Holiday weekend and I was truly sad when I reached the final (digital) page. It was also the first book that I have ever bought on Kindle and having it readily available on both my iPhone and iPad probably contributed to the sheer speed in which it was devoured. I'm looking to do a full book review on this at some point, as a little practice for uni, so let me know if you would be interested! And thank you to Annabel for the awesome reading recommendation. 

A few things to get me more motivated about reading again:
  • Being 'practised' for university. I'm going to be studying a lot of books.
  • The wonderful reading posts on The Private Life of a Girl.
  • Being able to do further research it things I'm passionate about, e.g. veganism.
  • Having something productive to do on warm sunny days and boring voids between lectures.
I'll be posting a reading list soon and then we will see how this venture goes...